1 pkg Broccoli Slaw
1 cup slivered almonds
2 pkgs. noodles from Beef Ramen Noodle Soup, broken into small pieces
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup vinegar
2 pkgs, seasoning from the Ramen Soups
Mix dressing and let stand at least 1 hour. Then mix dressing with remaining ingredients and let stand at least 1 hour before serving. (Also good when made the night before.)
Coconut Lime Cookies
1 stick butter, softened
6 T. sugar
6 T. light brown sugar
Zest and juice of one lime
½ T. vanilla
1 cup flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
White chocolate chips
1 bag sweetened coconut
Mix butter and sugar together by hand. Add egg, then zest of lime, juice of lime and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Batter should be stiff. Add flour by tablespoons as needed to stiffen. Mix in as many white chocolate chips as you like and ½ bag of coconut. Form batter into balls and roll in remaining coconut. Bake @ 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Coconut should be toasted and middle should be set. I mixed it in my mixer and it was fine.
Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake
½ c shortening
1 ½ c sugar
1 or 2 oz, red food coloring
2 oz. water
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. soda
2 ½ c flour
Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and blend well. Make a paste of cocoa and food color. Add to sugar and egg mixture. Sift flour and salt together into this mixture (use a whisk to mix if you don’t have a sifter). Then mix in, one at a time, the following ingredients: buttermilk, vanilla, and water. Add soda. Blend well and stir in vinegar. Do not beat hard: just mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, then test. Let cool.
(THIS RECIPE SHOULD NOT BE DOUBLED)
6 Tbsp. Flour
1 c butter
1 ½ c milk
1 ½ c sugar
1 ½ Tbsp. vanilla
Mix flour and milk over low heat until thickened. Stir constantly until cool. Cream sugar, vanilla and butter until fluffy. Add to milk and flour mixture and beat well for at least 10 minutes. Spread between layers and on top.
1 box Far East brand Taboule (found at Randall's, Central Market, Whole Foods)
1/2 package frozen peas
2-3 stalks green onion
few leaves fresh basil
1 small lemon
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Follow directions on box, but instead of minimal lemon juice, add juice of one small lemon and one lime. Add any or all of the following: diced cucumber, tomatoes, zucchini; chopped green onion and basil; frozen peas microwaved for 1 minute. Chill at least two hours.
Almond Sweet Bread
*3 ¾-4 ¼ cup Flour *1 Tbs. Yeast *1 cup Milk *1/3 cup Sugar *1/3 cup Butter/Marg.
*1/2 tsp. Salt *2 Eggs
*1/3 cup Sugar *2 tsp. Butter/Marg. *1/2 cup Ground Almonds
*1/2 cup Powdered Sugar *1/2 tsp. Vanilla *1-2 tsp. Milk *1/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- Start by making the bread part. Combine 2 cup flour and yeast. In sauce pan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, and salt until warm and butter almost melts. Add to dry mixture; add eggs. Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping sides beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour. Knead in as much flour as you need to make a soft dough- smooth and elastic (3-5 minutes)
- Form a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease ball. Let rise in warm place until double in size (About 1 hour).
- When bread is almost done rising make the almond filling by beating the butter and sugar together on medium speed until combined. Then stir in the ground almonds until it is all mixed well together.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Cover, let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Roll dough to an 18 x 12 rectangle. Sprinkle with the almond filling. Roll up jelly-roll style. Seal seam. Place seam-side down, on prepared baking sheet. Shape into ring; press ends together to seal. With kitchen scissors, snip at 1 inch intervals, making each cut 2/3 of the way to the center. Gently turn each section slightly to the outside. Cover and let rise in warm place until nearly double in size (25-30 minutes).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- For the glaze combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Drizzle over cooled bread and sprinkle with sliced almonds for garnishment.
Healthy Banana Bread
*1 cup Sugar *1/2 cup Oil *2 Bananas *1/2 cup Yogurt *Vanilla *2 Eggs
*2 cup Flour *1 tsp. Baking Soda *1/2 tsp. Salt *Blueberries or Chocolate Chips
Mix together. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
Double Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies
*1 ½ cup Flour *1 cup cocoa *1 tsp. Baking Soda *1 tsp. Salt *1 cup Butter
*3/4 cup Sugar *1 ¼ cup Brown Sugar *2 Eggs *2 tsp. Vanilla
*1 ½ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (2 cups if you don’t use the mint)
*1/2 cup Crushed Andes Mints
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Cream sugar and butter. Beat in one egg at a time, then add the vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture until combined. Stir in chocolate and mint. Shape 2 Tbs. of dough into rough balls, 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake 11-13 minutes.
*2 cans (15oz. each) Chick Peas (one drained and one undrained) *4 Tbs. Raw Sesame Seeds
*1 Tbs. Olive Oil *1/4 cup Lemon Juice *2 Cloves Garlic *1-2 tsp. Cummin
Blend until smooth. Serve as a dip with crackers or as a spread in sandwhiches.